Born: April 18, 1983
Hometown: Maracay, Venezuela
Family: Wife, Rosangel; daughter also named Rosangel
Primary position: Third base
Before The Bigs:
- Signed as an undrafted free agent in July 1999 at age 16 by the Florida Marlins.
- Played shortstop in the low minors and moved to third base at Single-A Jupiter, where he drove in 74 runs in 2002.
- Had his breakthrough season in 2003 at Double-A Carolina, where he hit .365 with 10 home runs before being called up to the Marlins on June 20, 2003.
- Hit a game-winning home run in his first big-league game.
- Splitting time between third base and left field, he hit .268 with 12 HRand 62 RBI in 2003.
- Hit four postseason home runs, including one against Roger Clemens in Game 4 of the World Series, as the Marlins won their second championship.
- Was selected to the NL All-Star team as an outfielder at age 21 in 2004, when he hit .294 with 33 HR and 112 RBIs.
- Moving to left field in 2005, he hit .323 with 33 home runs and 116 RBIs.
- Back at third base in 2006, he hit a career-best .339 with 26 home runs.
- Youngest player in MLB history to compile back-to-back 30 HR seasons.
- Set career highs in home runs (34) and RBI (119) in 2007.
- Drove in more than 100 runs and made four consecutive NL all-star teams from 2004-07.
- Traded to the Detroit Tigers with pitcher Dontrelle Willis for six prospects in December 2007.