Born: Nov. 11, 1983
Hometown: Selma, Calif.
Family: Wife, Serina; son, Matthew (2002); daughter, Sierra (2005)
Primary position: Starting pitcher
Before The Bigs:
- Went 1-6 with a 9.55 ERA as a freshman at Fresno State, but improved to 6-3 with five saves as a sophomore and was 6-5 with a 3.07 ERA as a junior.
- Was the 25th pick in the first round of the 2005 draft by the Minnesota Twins.
- Rose quickly through the Twins organization in 2006, starting the season at Single-A Fort Myers and ending it in the Twins rotation.
- He was a combined 14-4 with a 1.99 ERA and 154 strikeouts in 2006, and was selected the USA Today Minor League Player of the Year.
- Started the 2007 season in Triple-A, and was selected to the All-Star Futures Game before his call-up on July 6, 2007
MLB Career Highlights:
- Was originally called up to the majors on Aug. 8, 2006, and lost in his first Twins start to Toronto. Picked up his first win on Aug. 23 vs. Baltimore.
- After going 5-7 with a 3.69 ERA in 2007, he was traded to the Rays along with SS Jason Bartlett and P Eduardo Morlan for OF Delmon Young, OF Jason Pridie and IF Brendan Harris.
- Joined the Rays' rotation for their surprise AL pennant season, going 11-9 with a 3.70 ERA.
- Was MVP of the American League Championship Series against the Red Sox with a 1.38 ERA in two starts and winning Game 7 of the series.
- Threw a no-hitter vs. Detroit on July 26, 2010, winning 5-0 and facing the minimum 27 batters.