Born: February 20, 1983
Hometown: Manakin-Sabot, Virginia
Marital status: Single
Primary position: Starting pitcher
Before The Bigs:
- Played three seasons at Old Dominion University, where he went 7-6 for three consecutive seasons, yet struck out 427 in 330 innings with a fastball that can be up to 100 mph.
- Was selected second overall in the 2004 draft by the Detroit Tigers.
- Made a spot start for the Tigers during his first pro season on July 4, 2005 from Single-A Lakeland, then was sent back to Double-A Erie, where he was basically unhittable, going 2-0 with a 0.28 ERA in seven starts.
- Began the 2006 season as the Tigers’ fifth starter and was named Rookie of the Year in the AL. He went 17-9 with a 3.63 ERA and helped lead the Tigers to the American League pennant. He went 2-1 in four postseason starts.
- Threw a no-hitter on June 12, 2007 in an interleague game against the Milwaukee Brewers.
- Made his first All-Star team in 2007.