Born: June 11, 1983
Hometown: Villa Gonzalez, Dominican Republic
Marital status: Single
Primary position: Shortstop
Before The Bigs:
- Signed as an undrafted free agent at age 16 by the New York Mets in 1999.
- Had 15 triples and 30 stolen bases and batted .307 in 108 games at Single-A Capital City in 2001.
- He ascended one level in the minors each year, and spent 46 games at Triple-A Norfolk before making his major league debut on June 10, 2003.
- Finished eighth in National League Rookie of the Year voting in 2003, hitting .307 with 13 stolen bases in 69 games before tearing a ligament in his ankle, ending his season a month early.
- After an injury-plagued 2004 season, he broke through in 2005, hitting .273 and leading the National League with 17 triples and 60 stolen bases.
- Batted .300 with his best power season in 2006, with 19 home runs, an NL-best 17 triples and a career-best 64 stolen bases, which also led the league.
- Started in his first All-Star Game in 2006.