Born: May 31, 1981
Hometown: Mobile, Ala.
Family: Wife, Katie; sons Jacob Edward II and Wyatt
Primary position: Starting pitcher
Before The Bigs:
- Selected by the Padres out of Mobile St. Paul’s Episcopal High School. He declined an offer to play at Auburn to sign with San Diego.
- Was solid at every level of the minors, and played part of two seasons in his hometown for the Double-A Moblie BayBears.
- Skipped Triple-A and made his debut at age 21 for the Padres on June 22, 2002 at home in an interleague game against the New York Yankees.
- After going 18-18 in his first two seasons, Peavy emerged as one of the top starters in the majors in 2004, going 15-6 and leading the National League with a 2.27 ERA.
- Led the NL in strikeouts in 2005.
- Member of Team USA in the 2006 World Baseball Classic.
- Struck out nine batters in a row against the Arizona Diamondbacks on April 25, 2007.
- Named to the NL All-Star team in 2005 and 2007, and started the game in 2007.